Relative directory path = Much more efficient (Suggestion)

Discussions about research, Faceswapping and things that don't fit in the other categories here.

Dan

Relative directory path = Much more efficient (Suggestion)

Post by Dan »

Me again with another suggestion that I feel could be VERY helpful and efficient for everyone! :)

The Question:
Is there a way to use relative directories path for: Extract / Train / Convert etc.. ?

Because some of my projects structure gets really long and it's hard to follow in the current UI.
Not only it will shorten the path drastically and will be easier to see it on the UI but also it will be much easier to tweak and use as presets!

It will also work when compress/export FULL projects or backup and move to other drives or different computer, since Relative directory path will look only to the main project sub-directories structure as it's root, probably using the: "Save full config" to save a fully project with all it's settings (I use it all the time, it's awesome!)

EXAMPLE:

Instead of:
Input A:

C:/FaceSwap/Projects/Project_Name/DST_Output

Something like this will be great:
Input A:

/DST_Output

It will be extremely useful for presets because if right now you Copy/Past a directory structure with saved config, it will look for the full absolute long directory structure and not the relative... tweaking all the directories one by one takes so much time, I wish you can make your magic and change it to relative.

That way, no matter where the project is, the UI should show the shorter paths it will be MUCH easier to follow, tweak, change and manage the project.

I apologies if it's already possible and maybe I don't know how to set it by default on the current version, but by default when browsing it will show the absolute full path, which in most cases... are long and.

Sorry about my bad English,
Please keep up the good work and have a wonderful day! :)

bryanlyon
Site Admin
Answers: 44

Re: Relative directory path = Much more efficient (Suggestion)

Post by bryanlyon »

You can use relative paths and FS will use them if you provide them. The thing is that the selection tool wont easily use relative paths, so if you use the GUI to select a path it'll provide absolute path. But you can easily provide a relative path by just putting the parts after the FS folder (which due to how Python works MUST be used as the base or we'd break absolute paths). So instead of

/DST_Output

You'd have to use

Projects/Project_Name/DST_Output

But that second path will work just fine.

We've actually got plans for a "Faceswap Projects" that will eliminate a lot of the complexity of folders, but it's still in the design phase as if/when we do it, we want to be sure it's right.