Has anyone made a VR deepfake before? Is it easy?

Discussions about research, Faceswapping and things that don't fit in the other categories here.

cosmico

Has anyone made a VR deepfake before? Is it easy?

Post by cosmico »

I was curious if anyone has made a vr deepfake before.

Is it as simple as loading the side-by-side 180 vr .mp4 into faceswap and just deep faking it like a normal video,
Or does it take more than that?

When you view VR videos on non 3d video player you get both screens at once s-by-s and they have a fish eye lens effect. Any object (lets say a face) in the very middle of the video will be in proportion but when they start to go towards the boundaries, they start to stretch out like you might expect a fish eye lens to do. Now I'm wondering, do you first have have to edit the replacing(b) faces in just such a way where its all stretched out to similar affect as the replaced-faces in the vr video before running it through extraction? Or is faceswap just smart enough that however wonky and goofy the faces stretch out in the VR video, it will just make the replacing faces similar stretched.

bryanlyon
Site Admin
Answers: 44

Re: Has anyone made a VR deepfake before? Is it easy?

Post by bryanlyon »

You first need to unwarp the VR video. See for example then only after you unwarp it can you convert it. Then you'll want to rewarp it back so it looks correct in VR.

cosmico

Post by cosmico »

Thanks for the response. Even though its just a 3 minute video, getting premier, learning the basics and then doing the guide and then the reverse of it seems like quite the amount of effort for me, I think I'll probably stay away from them. Very cool idea though.

bryanlyon
Site Admin
Answers: 44

Post by bryanlyon »

There are other ways to unwarp, that's just one tutorial. But you will have to unwarp it before you can convert.