one large card or two midrange cards?

Talk about Hardware used for Deep Learning

markthisentropy

one large card or two midrange cards?

Post by markthisentropy »

Setting aside that Ampere cards aren't currently supported...

I am thinking of upgrading my card, and I am sure support will come to Ampere cards in good time. I was thinking maybe something along the line of a 3070, I'd like more VRAM but it seems like plenty of card for the money.

However, I am also keeping an eye on ebay for a protentionally older card at good value. (There are a lot of cards popping up the last week or two but people have accepted the demand isn't there and the price has yet to come down)

What are peoples thoughts on on maybe 1660ti X 2 vs a 3070?( or 2080ti if you want to keep it to what's available today)

abigflea
Answers: 2

Re: one large card or two midrange cards?

Post by abigflea »

:o I dunno what I'm doing :shock:
2X RTX 3090 : RTX 3080 : RTX: 2060 : 2x RTX 2080 Super : Ghetto 1060

bryanlyon
Site Admin
Answers: 44

Post by bryanlyon »

If you can wait, I'd suggest waiting for the 3070. If you can't, or you can find a good deal, the 2060 super is nearly just as good as a 2080 ti and you can still get 2 of them for the price of the 2080 ti which handily beats the 2080 ti in speed and value.

markthisentropy

Thanks, I am in no rush will hold out for a few weeks. Either to find a bargin or get a 3070.

One thing that I am not clear on though is where does the biggest boost come from, doubling the Cuda cores or doubling the RAM via two cards?

bryanlyon
Site Admin
Answers: 44

Post by bryanlyon »

Cores do the calculations RAM holds the numbers to calculate. Both are important but 8gb in a 2060 super is more than enough for Faceswap. If you have a huge amount of ram but don't have more compute (like a 3090/RTX Titan) then you can hold a lot in memory, but it takes a long time to get through it so doesn't really provide any advantage.

markthisentropy

Cheers man.

I found this a good read others might find it handy too https://timdettmers.com/2020/09/07/whic ... erformance