Your opinions of this build and a GPU question

Talk about Hardware used for Deep Learning

CarlosZcat

Your opinions of this build and a GPU question

Post by CarlosZcat »

First of all, thank you for putting the time and effort for this incredible software.

After reading and taking ideas from the "Hardware Best Practices Thread". I ordered this build specifically for running your fantastic software.

1. AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2950X Processor.

Yeah I know, looks like overkill, but I wanted to free up the pcie lanes on my motherboard. GIGABYTE claimed X399 motherboards feature a unique PCI Express design that utilizes 100% of all 48 lanes from the CPU when in a 4-Way or 3-Way graphics configuration providing the full bandwidth available and provide the best graphics bandwidth possible to the user.

1. GIGABYTE X399 Designare EX (AMD Ryzen Thread Ripper TR4/ATX /3X M.2/WIFI/Front & Rear USB 3.1/Dual Intel LAN/ Motherboard).

2. Two EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER SC ULTRAs, 8GB GDDR6, Dual HDB Fans, Metal Back plate.

3 ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 240 - Multi Compatible All-in-One CPU AIO Water Cooler, Compatible with Intel & AMD, Efficient PWM Controlled Pump, Fan Speed: 200-1800 RPM (Controlled via PWM).

(Really wanted an air cooler but I'm afraid it will interfere with my ram and top pcie lane).

1. 32GB G.Skill Flare X DDR4 3200MHz PC4-25600 for AMD Ryzen CL14 Quad Channel Kit (4x8GB)

2. Thermaltake View 71 RGB 4-Sided Tempered Glass E-ATX Full Tower Computer Case

(Can't find a decent workstation case, whatever happened to the optcal drive slots!)

1. Seasonic FOCUS GX-1000, 1000W 80+ Gold

2. A bottle of vodka to distract my thinking of the upcoming wave of expenses due to this build. :lol:

I do have a GPU question. Currently, I have a GTX 1080 Ti. Would it bottle-neck
my build, if I added it? Or should I put it away in the spare parts pile.

Best Regards

bryanlyon
Site Admin
Answers: 44

Re: Your opinions of this build and a GPU question

Post by bryanlyon »

Looks fine.

On your 1080 TI, best not to mix it with a 20xx series. But it is possible to use the 1080 Ti to run your OS and reserve the 2060 Superss entirely for FS. May not be worth the effort though.

On the case: Optical drives are basically dead now. Best to get a USB one that lets you put it by your monitor or keyboard anyway.

CarlosZcat

Re: Your opinions of this build and a GPU question

Post by CarlosZcat »

Thanks for the reply Bryanlyon.

Okay, I will hold off on the GTX 1080 Ti and run the build on the x2 2060 Supers.

Best Regards