Super Simple Question about which RAM is best for anyone who has built a PC

Talk about Hardware used for Deep Learning

cosmico

Super Simple Question about which RAM is best for anyone who has built a PC

Post by cosmico »

I can't remember the exact frequency of my RAM so they will just be a close approximation for this question.
My old PC was running 16gb RAM with each stick being about 2600mhz. I recently upgraded to 16gb RAM at 3200mhz.
However my motherboard has extra slots on it, and I could technically put a 8gb 2600mhz RAM stick on my motherboard alongside my 16gb 3200mhz. (I can only put one since I sold the other). I read online that doing so would underclock my 3200's so they match my 2600. So now I am wondering what would be faster?
16gb 3200mhz vs 24gb 2600mhz?

Uses will be faceswap, video editing, video games etc.
If you are unable to precisely answer, do you know of a way I can test the difference myself? Preferably without installing the third one and running a test on some type of program, and then comparing it to the 2, .....but even if that's the only way, does somebody know which program I should use and anything I should be aware of?

bryanlyon
Site Admin
Answers: 44

Re: Super Simple Question about which RAM is best for anyone who has built a PC

Post by bryanlyon »

When you mix ram speeds, only the slowest speed will be used.

More ram isn't "faster". If your program needs it it'll use the extra ram, but it wont generally be "faster". Faceswap has other bottlenecks so 24gb wont be faster. The only time more ram speeds things up is when you're hitting the limit already.