Speeding up non batch activities

Talk about Hardware used for Deep Learning

stopparde01

Speeding up non batch activities

Post by stopparde01 »

Hi There,
newbie here, started playing with faceswap recently.
I repurposed and old PC with an intel i7-2600 (4 cores/8 threads) , 16GB RAM, 1TB PCIE M2 nvme and an nvidia GTX 1070 8GB VRAM running Ubuntu 20.4

Overall, beside the 8GB vram limitations (mainly 8 batchsize in villain model) things are working well and I’’m improving my swaps. Kudos to the guides in this forum, they are great!

One aspect that takes time for me (..and everybody else, I’m sure) is cleaning the extracted faces, sifting through all the thumbnails in the file manager. On my system it takes time for the thumbs to display (we are talking about tens of thousands of images) and refreshing each time I delete any image file.

I started with a regular sata disk , then upgraded to an nvme , which improved thumbs display considerably.

I was wondering if upgrading my system to a ryzen 5000 serie (8 cores/16T) with 32gb system memory will substantially improve the time it takes to display/refresh the thumbnails or not, and what other steps of the FS flow (extraction? sorting? Alignment manual tool ?) would get improvements.

Thanks in advance for any help/comments.

—stoppa

torzdf
Answers: 159

Re: Speeding up non batch activities

Post by torzdf »

I honestly don't know if thumbnail display will be quicker with an upgrade or not. I do know (in my experience) that Windows tends to display thumbs quicker than linux (or XFCE at least), so it may be easier to just use a different os (if possible) for that part of the process...

That is a pretty old GPU now (10 years!), so yeah, any upgrade is likely to see improvements. How much of an improvement I couldn't say though.

My word is final