GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6GB

Talk about Hardware used for Deep Learning

probably_a_placebo

GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6GB

Post by probably_a_placebo »

Hi,

I'm about to update my old GTX 650 TI and I'm seriously thinking about the GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6GB.

Does anyone have any experience with this card?

I'm giving it serious consideration because in terms of performance, it will be streets ahead of my current GPU and it falls within my budget.
I can't really spend more on the GPU because I also need to upgrade my MB, RAM and CPU.

I'll also be using the card for gaming, blender, video editing etc. Using Face Swap isn't my only concern.

If anyone has this card I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts or if anyone has any suggestions for a better card for similar cost that would be great too.

I'm well behind the times when it comes to this type of thing, I last upgraded my PC around 11 to 12 years ago.

Many thanks.

bryanlyon
Site Admin
Answers: 44

Re: GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6GB

Post by bryanlyon »

https://www.pcgamer.com/geforce-rtx-206 ... d-you-buy/

Personally, I'd suggest saving up a bit more to get a 2060 super. That gets you more vram, Tensorcores, and RTX as well as a decent bump in power (20%). If that's not an option, then it seems like you're stuck with a 1660 unless you're willing to get a used card.

probably_a_placebo

Post by probably_a_placebo »

Thanks for the response.
I was actually looking at the 2060 but it's a little over what I'd like to spend.
As I say, I've got the cost of a cpu, ram and mb also and I need to make a compromise somewhere along the line to bring my aspirations back into line with the size of my wallet.

Wait another month and get the 2060 is probably going to be the sensible thing to do.
I've got a 650 ti at the moment. It wasn't a bad card in its day but it's mustard cutting days are over and it needs replacing.

torzdf
Answers: 159

Post by torzdf »

If you can pick up a second hand GTX 1080, I'd say it could be worth it for the increased RAM, but probably slightly slower speed (than the 1660).

My word is final