My first face swap & Introduction

If you want to introduce yourself and say hello, this is the place to do it.

unsoundmethods

My first face swap & Introduction

Post by unsoundmethods »

Hi,

I've been stalking the forum since a week or so, small introduction here.
After I figured out that my laptop was basically doing nothing much all day while I'm working I thought I'd make it do something else that the protein folding that it has been doing for the last 4 years.

Wanted to look into face swapping for a while, and discovering a GUI for it made it so much easier I thought I'd give it a go.
First video I had in front of me when I installed face swap was "Useless" by Depeche Mode and I figured "why not" and started collecting images of the singer and did some quick video's of myself on my phone just to see how the whole process works.

After 80K iterations I did a side by side

This immediately got a copyright strike so I embedded different audio (ripped out the voice with AI) and at least it is now viewable everywhere apart from the US and Canada. I did an upload on Vimeo too

I also did a small compilation of earlier swaps after approx l2, 24 and 40K iterations to show how much the model improves over time (I hope the privacy settings on this don't mess it up)

This model obviously lacks the resolution I need for the closer up sections of the clip.
My poor old laptop only has a GTX970 mobile, and I'm getting about 7 iterations per minute it seems.
I'll kick off a higher res learning model tonight, I started one a few days ago but I'm only getting about 4 iterations per minute, making a 100K iteration a bit of a time investment :-)

FEW QUESTIONS;

• Does anyone know some software to see what my gfx card is actually doing? Windows pretends as if it is doing not much at all and my VRAM is only using 0.6GB out of 6 available
    I am using batch size 32 now instead of 16, is there any advantage in using larger batch sizes? I don't really fully understand the use of batch size.

Thanks, and great to see others people work, very cool to see people share their knowledge.

I started in 1982 with my 16kb Atari, 40 years later, with 128GB RAM on a 32core machine I still have to wait.

torzdf
Answers: 159

Re: My first face swap & Introduction

Post by torzdf »

unsoundmethods wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:00 pm

FEW QUESTIONS;

• Does anyone know some software to see what my gfx card is actually doing? Windows pretends as if it is doing not much at all and my VRAM is only using 0.6GB out of 6 available
    I am using batch size 32 now instead of 16, is there any advantage in using larger batch sizes? I don't really fully understand the use of batch size.

Hello and welcome!

nvidia-smi is the best tool to see if your GPU is actually doing anything. I couldn't speak for the speeds, as I'm not sure how fast a 970m would run. But the be-all and end-all is Nvidia-smi.

BS 32 should be fine. Larger batches generally train faster (to a point). Too large batch sizes tend to not be a good thing. You should probably cap at 64, but I doubt this will be an issue for you ;)

You may be able to train dfaker on that card which will get you a better res output.

My word is final

unsoundmethods

Post by unsoundmethods »

I managed to melt the fan on my CPU this weekend and have now underclocked it a bit after repairs.

Got a realface at 128pix working on the GTX970 (at half speed until I get new thermal paste) and after 80K iterations it is already much better than the original model after 140K.
Should be able to run another 30K today and show some results.

Thanks for all the help so far, very much appreciated.

I started in 1982 with my 16kb Atari, 40 years later, with 128GB RAM on a 32core machine I still have to wait.

unsoundmethods

Post by unsoundmethods »

PhazeA vs Realface

Just notice the Typo; rtx2070 should be rtx3070