Fit training - adding data, tweaking settings while training & loss graph

Want to understand the training process better? Got tips for which model to use and when? This is the place for you

Forum rules

Read the FAQs and search the forum before posting a new topic.

This forum is for discussing tips and understanding the process involved with Training a Faceswap model.

If you have found a bug are having issues with the Training process not working, then you should post in the Training Support forum.

Please mark any answers that fixed your problems so others can find the solutions.

Fubared

Fit training - adding data, tweaking settings while training & loss graph

Post by Fubared »

So have read that updating / adding new faces while training is a good idea, and using Fit / Final training is useful. I have done both of these while using Realface.

At around 200k iterations of fit training I added some new faces to the existing set by merging in a new aligment.
At 300k iterations I switched to new A & B data (same people) for final training.
At 360k iterations I added more new B to the final training.
While the training previews looked pretty good, the Tools preview was much worse, with very blurry swap, especially around the eyes.
So at 380k or so, I then changed the training configuration, increasing eye and mouth multiplier in Global & increasing input & output size in Realface settings.

Graph below shows the points clearly.

1) Will changing Global settings mid training messed up the training to date?
2) Will changing the Realface input & output settings mid training messed up the training to date?
3) Does the graph look right based on the process ive gone through (adding data, final training & changing settings)?

Thanks

Attachments
G1a.jpg
G1a.jpg (145.36 KiB) Viewed 2294 times
bryanlyon
Site Admin
Answers: 44

Re: Fit training - adding data, tweaking settings while training & loss graph

Post by bryanlyon »

Don't look at your loss numbers. They're really only there to see trends. They don't provide any useful information about the actual swap and will actually only confuse the issue. Instead look at the previews, which will show the actual model results and can be used to judge the quality.

1 and 2 will generally only affect new models. Existing models will continue training using their original settings.

Fubared

Post by Fubared »

Ok thanks for reply.

Very useful to know that changing the settings mid training has no impact, as these are set at the start.
And while I understand the loss graph is just an indication of trend and previews are what we need to pay attention to, why did the graph line jumped so clearly after settings were changed, if they don't affect an existing model?

bryanlyon
Site Admin
Answers: 44

Post by bryanlyon »

Simply restarting a model will cause jumps like that since optimizer weights are not saved or reloaded.