Why are models locked to specific mask types rather than say... just centering (legacy, face, head)?

Want to understand the training process better? Got tips for which model to use and when? This is the place for you

Forum rules

Read the FAQs and search the forum before posting a new topic.

This forum is for discussing tips and understanding the process involved with Training a Faceswap model.

If you have found a bug are having issues with the Training process not working, then you should post in the Training Support forum.

Please mark any answers that fixed your problems so others can find the solutions.

swapration

Why are models locked to specific mask types rather than say... just centering (legacy, face, head)?

Post by swapration »

Why are models locked to specific mask types rather than say... just centering (legacy, face, head)? Which can then determine the size of extraction, etc.
Shouldn't the masking types just be a tool for generating specific masks for specific situations (obscured, side faces, hair, no hair, etc.)?

Sorry if you've already answered this somewhere before... currently editing a bunch of masks at the moment and the thought came to mind - I've been meaning to ask about it before.

torzdf
Answers: 159

Re: Why are models locked to specific mask types rather than say... just centering (legacy, face, head)?

Post by torzdf »

I'm not sure I understand the question.... You can select any mask for any model.

Or do you mean "why can't I use multiple different masks for the same model?". If so, then, yes, this would be useful (to be able to have a 'custom' mask, where you have selected the mask you want for each face). This is something I have thought about and is on my "to do" list.... My "to do" list is very long, and I also have to earn a living, so it may be a while before this happens.

As always... I welcome Pull Requests ;)

My word is final

swapration

Re: Why are models locked to specific mask types rather than say... just centering (legacy, face, head)?

Post by swapration »

Was looking over the code and was thinking...
If there was a mixed mask option that allows you to change the mask type (under config. settings) and a range of frames to run the mask tool over wouldn't it theoretically allow for mixed mask models? For example the user first runs Bisenet-Fp for all frames and then runs Unet-Dfl over a select range of frames?
Asking mainly to see if this was feasible from the view point of a pro (you). I (not a pro) don't mind attempting to code this.