Dual GPU: 3090 FE Installed, any use of keeping 2080 Ti as Dual?

Want to understand the training process better? Got tips for which model to use and when? This is the place for you

Forum rules

Read the FAQs and search the forum before posting a new topic.

This forum is for discussing tips and understanding the process involved with Training a Faceswap model.

If you have found a bug are having issues with the Training process not working, then you should post in the Training Support forum.

Please mark any answers that fixed your problems so others can find the solutions.

ianstephens

Dual GPU: 3090 FE Installed, any use of keeping 2080 Ti as Dual?

Post by ianstephens »

We've received our first 3090 Founders Edition and installed it in our machine.

We're yet to start any testing/processing but the system is now ready.

We now have a redundant 2080 Ti - at least at the moment.

Is there any benefit of installing the 2080 Ti and running it side-by-side with the 3090 FE?

I know FaceSwap supports multiple GPUs but do they have the be the exact same model to see benefit?

Could we run the 3090 FE and the 2080 Ti side-by-side to see the benefit?

If so, what is the best procedure for this?

The 2080 Ti has 11GB VRAM while the 3090 FE has 24GB VRAM. Would running them side by side limit the VRAM to 11GB on both GPUs if run together?

Multiple GPUs are new to us so any advice, tips, or suggestions are greatly appreciated in advance.

torzdf
Answers: 159

Re: Dual GPU: 3090 FE Installed, any use of keeping 2080 Ti as Dual?

Post by torzdf »

[mention]bryanlyon[/mention] is best with hardware advice, and [mention]deephomage[/mention] or [mention]abigflea[/mention] are better with multi-gpu setups.

However, mixing between generations is possible, but is not ideal. You will be limited by the speed and vram of the older GPU

My word is final

ianstephens

Post by ianstephens »

Thank you for that information and for confirming my suspicion that the VRAM will be limited by the smallest card.

I'll wait for the others tagged above to reply (if they wish to) for further information.

Thank you!

bryanlyon
Site Admin
Answers: 44

Post by bryanlyon »

I would not recommend mixing. You'll be limited by the speed, ram, and featureset of the worst card option. In general you'll be better served by using the extra GPU on a separate system.