Phaze-A versus legacy models

Want to understand the training process better? Got tips for which model to use and when? This is the place for you

Forum rules

Read the FAQs and search the forum before posting a new topic.

This forum is for discussing tips and understanding the process involved with Training a Faceswap model.

If you have found a bug are having issues with the Training process not working, then you should post in the Training Support forum.

Please mark any answers that fixed your problems so others can find the solutions.

MattB

Phaze-A versus legacy models

Post by MattB »

It occurred to me today that I'm training using Dfl-128 (the "native" model) which has virtually no settings. But should I be using Phaze-A with the "model_phaze_a_dfl-h128_preset" instead? I don't know if the two are genuinely equivalent, if the latter is approximating the former, or if all models should be trained using Phaze-A now? I recently used the dny-512 preset with very good results. In fact, I don't even know if what I'm thinking of as "legacy" models are truly legacy or "as good or better" than Phaze-A.

More informed and capable opinions appreciated.

torzdf
Answers: 159

Re: Phaze-A versus legacy models

Post by torzdf »

The Phaze-A variants are exact replicas of the original models. Theoretically you could load the weights from a standalone model into the Phaze-A version (you can't in practice due to slightly different ways in which the models are constructed). They are, to all intents and purposes, byte compatible.

They were added to Phaze-A because 1) I could and 2) I thought it was useful to have some presets in there structured as existing models.

Ultimately, use what is best for you. I never recommend people start with Phaze-A because, frankly, its overwhelming. However, if you want to start tweaking models yourself, then Phaze-A is the way to go.

Last edited by torzdf on Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My word is final