What is "No Warp" doing/changing?

Want to understand the training process better? Got tips for which model to use and when? This is the place for you

Forum rules

Read the FAQs and search the forum before posting a new topic.

This forum is for discussing tips and understanding the process involved with Training a Faceswap model.

If you have found a bug are having issues with the Training process not working, then you should post in the Training Support forum.

Please mark any answers that fixed your problems so others can find the solutions.

MaxHunter

What is "No Warp" doing/changing?

Post by MaxHunter »

I've read that turning on and off "no warp" may harm the model. Presuming there must be more than just color correcting happening to mess up the model, what is happening under the hood that harms the model when you mess around with "no warp"?

Thanks. 🙂

Last edited by MaxHunter on Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:27 am, edited 8 times in total.
torzdf
Answers: 159

Re: What is "No Warp" doing/changing?

Post by torzdf »

Warping has nothing to do with color correction.

Warp does what the name suggests.... warps the input a bit. A somewhat extreme example shown here:
The difference between warping and every other augmentation method is that it is only applied to the input. It is not applied to the output. In layman's terms this is to teach the model that it cannot guarantee the same output for any given input, and helps prevent overfitting.

My word is final

MaxHunter

Re: What is "No Warp" doing/changing?

Post by MaxHunter »

That totally blew my mind.😂 And my preconceived notion of what warping does.

Thank you for that explanation. I thought "warping" was just a generalization for the entire process, and when no warp is applied it just means the "process" is suspended leaving the program to concentrate on color (hence why you leave it for the end.) Your example explains a lot...maybe even worthy of inserting in one of the faqs.