LPIPS_ALEX vs LPIPS_VG16

Want to understand the training process better? Got tips for which model to use and when? This is the place for you

Forum rules

Read the FAQs and search the forum before posting a new topic.

This forum is for discussing tips and understanding the process involved with Training a Faceswap model.

If you have found a bug are having issues with the Training process not working, then you should post in the Training Support forum.

Please mark any answers that fixed your problems so others can find the solutions.

d3x

LPIPS_ALEX vs LPIPS_VG16

Post by d3x »

I thought I would get better results from VG16, but it feels like each got its pros & cons

• With VG16 the moire pattern is a lot less noticeable when training at high values (like 50%) or sometimes even gets completely trained out with lower values (even when zooming in to 200%)

• With Alex I get a lot more sharpness, but the pattern stays visible when zooming in even when training at very low values (also much faster training of course)

• I tried squeeze too, but didn't let it run for very long because it just seemed way worse than both alex & vg16 in the early stages

This is with SSIM as the main loss function btw and no other extra loss functions

What are other people's experiences with these loss functions?

What I've started doing on my latest model is using a combination of alex & vg16 and I'm really liking the results so far (100 SSIM / 5 lpips_alex / 30 lpips_vg16 / 90 FFL)
--> it feels like adding 5% alex rly improves the sharpness compared to just using vg16 - not sure if it's worth the heavier GPU load though, might be better to tweak my phaze-a settings a bit to bring out more detail instead of combining 2 lpips loss functions 😅

Last edited by d3x on Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:22 pm, edited 8 times in total.