Installing on a Mac without using sudo

Installing and setting up FaceSwap

Forum rules

Read the FAQs and search the forum before posting a new topic.

Please mark any answers that fixed your problems so others can find the solutions.

Storm

Installing on a Mac without using sudo

Post by Storm »

Reading the Linux install guide, I am a bit uncertain when it comes to point no. 3:

Open up a terminal emulator, navigate to the download location then enter the following command as a normal user (do not execute this command as sudo or root)

As the only user on my Mac, I do have an admin account which has full rights. I'm not sure what is meant by "normal user" here. Unless you actually type in sudo there shouldn't be any harm, right? But then why does it say not to run it as sudo? The given command line does not include this.

I know nothing very little about command line stuff. I do know about photo and video editing, so I want to have a look at this. But I am a bit apprehensive of the possibility of screwing up my workplace computer so I want to be very careful. :?

by bryanlyon » Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:54 pm

Yes, it's safe as long as you follow the directions it wont be able to damage your system. Using sudo would be the only way to damage the OS, and as long as you avoid that, your system can protect itself. Just follow the directions and don't add sudo. The explanation in the instructions explicitly says not to do it since some people automatically add sudo to the front of any commands they find online and in our case it complicates the process.

Go to full post
bryanlyon
Site Admin
Answers: 44

Re: Installing on a Mac without using sudo

Post by bryanlyon »

Yes, it's safe as long as you follow the directions it wont be able to damage your system. Using sudo would be the only way to damage the OS, and as long as you avoid that, your system can protect itself. Just follow the directions and don't add sudo. The explanation in the instructions explicitly says not to do it since some people automatically add sudo to the front of any commands they find online and in our case it complicates the process.