using your own desktop

Installing and setting up FaceSwap

Forum rules

Read the FAQs and search the forum before posting a new topic.

Please mark any answers that fixed your problems so others can find the solutions.

korrupt78

using your own desktop

Post by korrupt78 »

So far I've been running faceswap commands on an unused desktop remotely via SSH, which has worked fine. Today for the first time I tried actually using the desktop, and whenever a faceswap command is running, the desktop GUI becomes almost unusably laggy and slow. I guess the one graphics card can't do machine learning and serve a desktop environment at the same time.

Curious if anyone else has had this experience, and if it could help to switch my monitors to the motherboard's video ports to free up the GeForce card to be used exclusively for faceswap?

bryanlyon
Site Admin
Answers: 44

Re: using your own desktop

Post by bryanlyon »

If you have a built in IGPU on your CPU, I highly recommend using that for your desktop environment. It'd definitely make training while using the system smoother.

korrupt78

Re: using your own desktop

Post by korrupt78 »

bryanlyon wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:19 pm

If you have a built in IGPU on your CPU, I highly recommend using that for your desktop environment. It'd definitely make training while using the system smoother.

It turns out I don't! Sorry, I'm still catching up to the current state of computer hardware. My whole computing life (1992+), if a motherboard came with a video port, it also came with the ability to drive it. But apparently the ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITX/AC I bought last year (to go with a AMD Ryzen 5 1600) doesn't come with any on-board video, it just delegates that task to another component. And since my Ryzen is a GPU, not APU, literally the only device in my computer capable of driving monitors is my 960.

So, I guess I'll have to content myself with light experimentation locally (while lagging up my desktop UI) and save the real work for the 2160 Super I just bought and am about to install on an Ubuntu Server tower.