Can the 'roll' filter be bypassed?

The Extraction process failing on you, and you aren't getting an error back with clear instructions? Tell us about it here

Forum rules

Read the FAQs and search the forum before posting a new topic.

This forum is for reporting errors with the Extraction process. If you want to get tips, or better understand the Extract process, then you should look in the Extract Discussion forum.

Please mark any answers that fixed your problems so others can find the solutions.

martinf

Can the 'roll' filter be bypassed?

Post by martinf »

I am missing a lot of faces that are frontal but tilted quite a bit. I have tried 0 (thinking it might defeat the filter) and all the way up to 90 and I see no difference in the output at all. I have also typed in a higher value and get the exact same results. Maybe I am misunderstanding what this filter is doing. All I know is, if a face is pretty much frontal and rolls past about 1:30 on the clock dial... no detection takes place and it is SO clearly a dang face.

torzdf
Answers: 159

Re: Can the 'roll' filter be bypassed?

Post by torzdf »

Roll filter is roll of the aligned face, not the face in the frame. This should always be close to zero, because we align the face across the central landmark points. Most likely the landmarks are incorrect.

It falls apart a bit on extreme angles when some of the landmarks are obscured so it miscalculates the roll.

You can use the debug-landmark option to get roll (and landmarks) displayed on each extracted face.

Setting to zero should disable any of the filters.

My word is final

torzdf
Answers: 159

Post by torzdf »

To illustrate what I mean. This image (taken for the re-align option in the extract guide), shows a face 'rolling' in the source from upright to ~90 degrees. The 'roll' value (green text) print on the output always stays close to zero.

My word is final

MaxHunter

Post by MaxHunter »

Ohhhhhh.

Humph I thought the filter determined the amount the head turns, that's why I've been leaving the filter at 90 (90degrees being a profile) This makes sense too.

Thanks for the illustration.