WARNING The AMD backend has been deprecated

The Extraction process failing on you, and you aren't getting an error back with clear instructions? Tell us about it here

Forum rules

Read the FAQs and search the forum before posting a new topic.

This forum is for reporting errors with the Extraction process. If you want to get tips, or better understand the Extract process, then you should look in the Extract Discussion forum.

Please mark any answers that fixed your problems so others can find the solutions.

ben

WARNING The AMD backend has been deprecated

Post by ben »

WARNING The AMD backend has been deprecated and will be removed from a future update. Please consider re-installing using the 'DirectML' backend.

should i do something with this message? if so, what?

also in the training im on 8 batch size, original model, centering - legacy, coverage 100%, everything else is default and seems right. and my pc shuts down.
tried dfaker too and crushed. any ideas why?

i managed too stay stable on original model 9 batch size, centering face, coverage 87, for a long time with no crush

amd rx 590 intel i59600k psu 650 watt

thanks

Last edited by ben on Tue May 16, 2023 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andentze

Re: WARNING The AMD backend has been deprecated

Post by Andentze »

That means that the backend you've installed Faceswap with is no longer supported and will be dropped out eventually. As it says, you'd better reinstall Faceswap with DirectML backend.

bryanlyon
Site Admin
Answers: 44

Post by bryanlyon »

AMD support has transitioned to DirectML in Windows. If you have models trained with the AMD model you can keep an AMD version for that, but we recommend all new work for AMD be done in the DirectML version of FaceSwap.

On powering down suddenly, that's usually due to a power supply that can't handle the transient load. Unfortunately that's very hard to diagnose. One thing you may find works is to underclock (that is to use software to set your GPU to run slower than AMD's base speed for that GPU) as that causes the GPU to use less energy and may avoid that problem.

ben

Post by ben »

Andentze wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 3:52 pm

That means that the backend you've installed Faceswap with is no longer supported and will be dropped out eventually. As it says, you'd better reinstall Faceswap with DirectML backend.

what is directml backend? im quite noob at pc's
what i need to do technically?

Andentze

Post by Andentze »

[/quote]
[/quote]

In simple terms, you will need to remove the current Faceswap installation(back up the configs if needed) and reinstall Faceswap, selecting a new option "DirectML" where you select for which GPU(or CPU) you want to install Faceswap.

ben

Post by ben »

Andentze wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 3:58 pm

[/quote]

In simple terms, you will need to remove the current Faceswap installation(back up the configs if needed) and reinstall Faceswap, selecting a new option "DirectML" where you select for which GPU(or CPU) you want to install Faceswap.
[/quote]

got it.... thank you very much

bryanlyon
Site Admin
Answers: 44

Post by bryanlyon »

It's important to note that if you have any models that you have started training or want to use, those will NOT work in the DirectML version. You'll have to start again if you do that. Existing extracts and data will work fine though. This is why AMD was kept available but deprecated. AMD trained models will only work with the AMD version of FaceSwap.

ben

Post by ben »

bryanlyon wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 6:14 pm

It's important to note that if you have any models that you have started training or want to use, those will NOT work in the DirectML version. You'll have to start again if you do that. Existing extracts and data will work fine though. This is why AMD was kept available but deprecated. AMD trained models will only work with the AMD version of FaceSwap.

good to know thanks a lot