PC crash

If training is failing to start, and you are not receiving an error message telling you what to do, tell us about it here

Forum rules

Read the FAQs and search the forum before posting a new topic.

This forum is for reporting errors with the Training process. If you want to get tips, or better understand the Training process, then you should look in the Training Discussion forum.

Please mark any answers that fixed your problems so others can find the solutions.

p96xl
Answers: 1

PC crash

Post by p96xl »

When I'm training on RealFace, my PC just randomly decides to turn off and stays off until I press the start button. When I take a closer look, I get error code 0x00000000 and no reason. What can be the cause? Running AMD Vega FE with Intel i5 6600k and 4x2 HyperX ram

by p96xl » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:11 am
bryanlyon wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:35 pm

Vega FE can easily use 450w and your i5 6600K can easily use 200. Beyond that, many PSUs struggle with peak load and sudden voltage demands which can cause crashes. Unfortunately, we can't do anything to prevent or control hardware issues like this. If you want to try troubleshooting the first step would be to limit your Vega GPU to a lower clock rate and see it that works better.

I knew it wasn't a hardware issue, you know why? Because it was me being stupid and not following directions. I set the batch size to 16 thinking it would help out my PC, turns out it didn't. I doubled it to 32 and now it works like a charm. I also set my mem speed all the way down to 800mhz, but I doubt thats whats giving it life. Sorry for troubling you with my stupid mistake.

Go to full post
Last edited by p96xl on Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
torzdf
Answers: 159

Re: PC crash

Post by torzdf »

This is a hardware issue. Most likely insufficient power.

My word is final

p96xl

Post by p96xl »

torzdf wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:15 pm

This is a hardware issue. Most likely insufficient power.

The TDP of a Vega FE is just 300W, my PSU is 750W. Im pretty sure its not a power issue, but I could be wrong.

torzdf

Post by torzdf »

If your PC shutsdown it's basically a hardware issue in some way.

My word is final

p96xl

Post by p96xl »

torzdf wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:31 pm

If your PC shutsdown it's basically a hardware issue in some way.

Yea, but its random, like it happens at random times

torzdf

Post by torzdf »

Maybe overheating?

Honestly, it could be a myriad of things. Faceswap taxes your GPU HARD though. People do train on that card without issues, so unfortunately it will be hardware related. Beyond that, I can't really offer any more help.

My word is final

bryanlyon
Site Admin
Answers: 44

Post by bryanlyon »

Vega FE can easily use 450w and your i5 6600K can easily use 200. Beyond that, many PSUs struggle with peak load and sudden voltage demands which can cause crashes. Unfortunately, we can't do anything to prevent or control hardware issues like this. If you want to try troubleshooting the first step would be to limit your Vega GPU to a lower clock rate and see it that works better.

p96xl

Post by p96xl »

bryanlyon wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:35 pm

I knew it wasn't a hardware issue, you know why? Because it was me being stupid and not following directions. I set the batch size to 16 thinking it would help out my PC, turns out it didn't. I doubled it to 32 and now it works like a charm. I also set my mem speed all the way down to 800mhz, but I doubt thats whats giving it life. Sorry for troubling you with my stupid mistake.

torzdf

Post by torzdf »

Hmmm, changing the batchsize is unlikely to cause shutdown issues. Lowering the mem clock speed is more likely.

However, the important thing is it works now :)

My word is final

p96xl

Post by p96xl »

torzdf wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:05 am

Hmmm, changing the batchsize is unlikely to cause shutdown issues. Lowering the mem clock speed is more likely.

However, the important thing is it works now :)

My PC is kind of weird, if it doesn't like something then it shuts down. e.g. batch size too high? shutdown. batch size too small? shut down. I look at it in a weird way? shut down. IDK man, I work for the PC in this universe

Also, I'm running my card with stock setting, no underclock or anything. Just fan speed increase.

bryanlyon
Site Admin
Answers: 44

Post by bryanlyon »

Yeah, problems like that DEFINITELY sound like power issues. Might be a good idea to try some underclock just to even those out.

p96xl

Post by p96xl »

bryanlyon wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:17 am

Yeah, problems like that DEFINITELY sound like power issues. Might be a good idea to try some underclock just to even those out.

I slaped in a second PSU that I had, its 650W. Works like a charm on batch size of 32. I guess my PC is some special case.