Is there a place to download faces?

Discussions about research, Faceswapping and things that don't fit in the other categories here.

JansenSensei

Is there a place to download faces?

Post by JansenSensei »

Hi

I tried to make a couple of videos by extracting faces from a few videos and then trying to swap the actors inside the videos. Every single one of my attempts failed before it began (literally). I forgot the actual error since it was a while ago but it was something a LOT of people were asking about online and thus I got a LOT of suggestions (most of them involving setting the same setting to on/off, I forget which).

Needless to say, I tried every tip I could find and no matter what I tried it all ended up stopping before it began. learning started processing and preparing and then... sorry, but no.

For my one video I extracted 8000 images and for the other I extracted 32000 images so clearly the QUANTITY of images I had was not the problem but I am wondering if the QUALITY of the very small, blurry little faces might have had anything to do with it.

Is there a minimum size for extracted faces? 1k? 4k? 20Kb? None?
Or better yet, since there are so many Arnold fakes out there, so many Stallone, so many [insert X], is there no repository where one can get a set of extracted faces that have been proven to work? Sure you won't get "everyone I ever dreamed of" in such a list but at least it might be a good source (for ppl like me) to start experimenting with (without wondering "Am I extracting the faces wrong or what is the problem?")

Thanks

TheTurc

Re: Is there a place to download faces?

Post by TheTurc »

I agree, it would be nice to have at least one example of a "good" dataset so everyone is aligned on what is "good".

It can also be used for model/settings comparison.

bryanlyon
Site Admin
Answers: 44

Post by bryanlyon »

Unfortunately, any time we've shared random facesets they've been misused and cause a lot more headaches than they solve. Quite simply, what makes a good faceset for one swap is a bad faceset for another.

In general you want 3 things:

1: Variety
2: High Quality
3: Minimal profiles

In particular you want to tune your data so that you get similar faces on both sides. Swapping someone heavily expressionate with someone very stoic wont look right for example. And if all your content for one actor is dark and the other is very bright, it'll look funky. These feed back into the 3 real things you want I mentioned.

JansenSensei

Post by JansenSensei »

Maybe I am gonna sound as n00b as I am but can you please elaborate on this just a little more?
You say "You want variety and minimal profiles".

I am assuming by variety you mean Arnold in light scenes and dark scenes etc, Sly in light and dark, Manson in light and dark etc etc etc. If that is what you mean then, great, moving on...

What do you mean by "minimal profiles", thought? The only thing I can think of is "face sets with very few images" . That doesn't sound right so I am confessing I have no idea what you mean by that phrase (apart from "Have only a few face setsand only do face swaps of 1 or 2 of your favorite actors and nobody more, ever, for as long as you shall live". Of course, that also sounds completely wrong :P)

Thanks for your input.

P.s. just to reiterate a sub question in my original post, is there a minimum tex size for faces? I imagine seeing recently you can start from as small as 64x64 (😨). Obviously 8k is overkill but is there a sweet spot or an absolute minimum to use or can any size be used? More detail = better result but in terms of the application breaking because of my sources being too small... is that even a thing?

bryanlyon
Site Admin

Post by bryanlyon »

Profiles as in sides of faces. It just doesn't work very well.

Models each have their own sizes that they're built for. Original is 64x64. Others have their own sizes. See the training guide for more information on the different models.

griff30

Post by griff30 »

I was wondering this myself, a repository of high quality actor's faces that this program would find most useable. Just look for an actor and download would be much easier and faster than finding a movie clip with 'possible' good shots, then sifting through thousands of pictures. When all you'd need do is download a pre-tested file of high quality pictures that work.
Just load them in the folder.

bryanlyon
Site Admin

Post by bryanlyon »

Sadly, that's just not how it works. A faceset needs to be selected and curated to match your other faceset. Random collections of faces is not usable as a "this package is a good Trump" and wont create good results.

The simple fact is that you can't get quality without some effort.