Slider for how much gpu/cpu to use

Discussions about research, Faceswapping and things that don't fit in the other categories here.

Roudrunner_404

Slider for how much gpu/cpu to use

Post by Roudrunner_404 »

I want sombody to create a slider for how much gpu or cpu to use

torzdf
Answers: 159

Re: Slider for how much gpu/cpu to use

Post by torzdf »

Moved to general, as I'm not sure what you're asking for here.

How much GPU/CPU to use for what?

My word is final

theimagera

Post by theimagera »

Why would you need a slider to change usage of your cpu or gpu for faceswap?

Deepfaking is a time consuming process that needs a lot of computing and number crushing, allowing it to only use less and less gpu/cpu will only make it take longer, and even then, if you're going to do other tasks that require gpu/cpu, you're only slowing your computer down.

joshfreeman

Post by joshfreeman »

Can you explain your question more?

Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

While I do not know the intentions of the OP, I have been curious about a similar setting.

The thing is, while training, my system completely pegs out and the temperatures skyrocket. I have a fairly nice liquid cooled CPU and a 3080Ti GPU. Both of these processors become very, very hot and all my fans run full bore. In addition, my computer room heats up noticeably. I could cool the room with an external A/C, which I am considering. But, the processors will still be cranking.

I was hunting for options regarding throttling the processing a bit in order to avoid overheating. I realize this will slow down the training and make it take longer. But, I am wary about running my system full tilt for hours or days on end. I would be content to wait a little longer if it means my system does not melt.

torzdf
Answers: 159

Post by torzdf »

Ok, sure, but that's not in the scope of what Faceswap does. AI requires processing power. A LOT of it. To add options into Faceswap to throttle hardware in some way would not be a trivial task, and I'm sure there are third party applications which allow you to limit CPU/GPU allocation per process, and you would probably be best searching for those. You could probably do this in Windows with the Power Settings (for CPU) and MSI Afterburner (for GPU)

Generally hardware will throttle if it's overheating to protect itself. Whilst it may feel counter-intuitive to be running things full-bore 24/7, the hardware is built for that. Hell, a lot of GPUs mine crypto at 100% all day, every day.

My word is final