Cleaning up files after extraction

The Extraction process failing on you, and you aren't getting an error back with clear instructions? Tell us about it here

Forum rules

Read the FAQs and search the forum before posting a new topic.

This forum is for reporting errors with the Extraction process. If you want to get tips, or better understand the Extract process, then you should look in the Extract Discussion forum.

Please mark any answers that fixed your problems so others can find the solutions.

Diamondback

Cleaning up files after extraction

Post by Diamondback »

After extracting from a video file, I often have a huge number of images, on the order of 50 - 100K. As I understand it, 10K is a decent upper limit to this image count. Now, the workflow does say:

torzdf wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:46 pm
  • Extract Every N: This is the first option that will change depending on the purpose of this extraction.

• If you are extracting for convert, or you are extracting for convert AND will be using some of the faces for training, then leave this on 1 (i.e. extract from every frame)

However, is it appropriate to pare down this volume of images for performance sake? If so, what is the best way to go about it? Is it simply a process of deleting a bunch of the images then updating the alignments? Or, is there a more efficient way?
Also, would it not make sense to NOT extract "every 1" and instead only extract enough images to get about 10K?

Thanks.

bryanlyon
Site Admin
Answers: 44

Re: Cleaning up files after extraction

Post by bryanlyon »

My recommendation for large videos is EEN=10 or so. I only ever extract every image when I'm preping convert.