Is "load weights" the right way to go if I only need the B part?

Want to understand the training process better? Got tips for which model to use and when? This is the place for you

Forum rules

Read the FAQs and search the forum before posting a new topic.

This forum is for discussing tips and understanding the process involved with Training a Faceswap model.

If you have found a bug are having issues with the Training process not working, then you should post in the Training Support forum.

Please mark any answers that fixed your problems so others can find the solutions.

Fed

Is "load weights" the right way to go if I only need the B part?

Post by Fed »

I've red some explanations, but I'm not sure if I understand correctly, so I'd want to get some clarification.

I started with the desire to exchange face A with face B.
Trained the correlating model. All good.
Now I want to exchange face C with face B.
Seems like a waste to start training both faces from zero point.
Seems like it would be more effective to proceed training face B from the point I reached while training A->B swap.
I guess it will not save any time since face C needs to be trained anyway, but the resulting face B might be a bit better - for the same training time.

Is this the correct situation to use load weights + freeze weights?
I'm confuzled.
There's no option to load a half of a model (the B face). And face A has nothing to do with face C, so I don't feel confident about loading and freezing anything related to face A.

P.S. If this is the right way to go - can I change so training settings? Like - face coverage?
P.P.S. If this is't the right way to go - is there any decent way to do this? If not - it's a bit depressing. What if I want to exchange three faces - A->B, B->C, C->A? In this case I only need three faces trained, but I would have to full-scale train three pairs of faces?

torzdf
Answers: 159

Re: Is "load weights" the right way to go if I only need the B part?

Post by torzdf »

Fed wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:05 pm

Is this the correct situation to use load weights + freeze weights?

It is a correct situation, yes. Other people re-use their trained encoder to kick start training totally new identities too (say, C + D). Effectively the logic is "you can use weights from a different problem to solve this problem"

There's no option to load a half of a model (the B face). And face A has nothing to do with face C, so I don't feel confident about loading and freezing anything related to face A.

There is in Phaze-A, there is not in other models. The other models only give you the option to load the encoder. This will still bring you savings. The encoder has trained encodings for A + B. These encodings will still be useful to you for training B + C (or even C + D). You would load these saved weights and freeze the encoder whilst training B + C decoders only. Once the decodings are beginning to resemble faces, you would unfreeze the encoder, and let it adapt to the new C data.

P.S. If this is the right way to go - can I change so training settings? Like - face coverage?

You can change coverage, yes. I don't know how much this will hurt things, but as you will eventually unlock the encoder anyway, when any coverage changes should feed back into the encoder.

P.P.S. If this is't the right way to go - is there any decent way to do this? If not - it's a bit depressing. What if I want to exchange three faces - A->B, B->C, C->A? In this case I only need three faces trained, but I would have to full-scale train three pairs of faces?

I would say yes. With Phaze-A you could freeze the entire B side and just get decoder C caught up.

My word is final

Fed

Post by Fed »

torzdf wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:06 am

I would say yes. With Phaze-A you could freeze the entire B side and just get decoder C caught up.

Ah... Interesting. I've been using Villain so far since it looked like an easy option. Phaze-A could be interesting to look at in the future.

Thanks for the answer. Good to know that previously trained models will not have only one use.

Actually now I wonder... I have one more question now.
Is there an accumulating ability to jump start?
I mean if we have two scenarios:
1) Train A->B then use it to jump start and train X->Y
2) Train A->B then use it to jump start and train C->D then use it to jump start and train X->Y
Is it going to be a better jump start for X->Y in second scenario?

torzdf
Answers: 159

Post by torzdf »

I don't know if it will be better, it may be or it may not. I've never really tested at length so don't know how much the encoder information gets rewritten. I certainly no of people who do what you are saying though and just keep re-using their encoder.

My word is final