Clarification on removing Conda and Cuda to fix GPU

Installing and setting up FaceSwap

Forum rules

Read the FAQs and search the forum before posting a new topic.

Please mark any answers that fixed your problems so others can find the solutions.

Errol_Flynn

Clarification on removing Conda and Cuda to fix GPU

Post by Errol_Flynn »

Hello Team!

So I'm attempting to reinstall faceswap due to my GPU not being used with it (checked with nvidia-smi)

On the following instructions from the FAQ:

Uninstall Conda: Add/Remove programs > python (Check for both MiniConda and AnaConda)
Uninstall any and all versions of Cuda that are installed on your system: Add/Remove programs > anything with Nvidia Cuda in the name

What exactly does "Add/Remove programs > python" mean? Is it a command I have to execute somewhere?

And how do I find programs with "Nvidia Cuda" in the name? Nothing shows up in my control panel.

It also says to uninstall any other python installs - I don't think I have any? I've never used python before so not sure how to check for this.

My GPU is Nvidia Geforce mx330

Thanks in advance!

torzdf
Answers: 159

Re: Clarification on removing Conda and Cuda to fix GPU

Post by torzdf »

Add/Remove programs is a section in Windows Control Panel where you can uninstall/install programs. it may have been renamed in later Windows:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 05080eaf98

My word is final

Errol_Flynn

Post by Errol_Flynn »

Thanks for the quick reply.

I've checked both the settings and the control panel and I cannot find any app to uninstall that has Python/MiniConda/AnaConda/Cuda in the name.

For Conda, the only thing I can find is an 11 GB folder entitled "MiniConda3" in my C:/user , along with a .43 bytes folder named ".conda".

For Cuda, the only thing I can find is a folder deep inside the previously mentioned "MiniConda3" folder.

Would it be enough to just delete all these files?

I'm still not sure what is meant in the instructions by "Uninstall any other Python installs you have on your system."

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by Errol_Flynn on Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Errol_Flynn

Post by Errol_Flynn »

Also, regarding the drivers for my Nvidia Geforce mx330 GPU:

I have checked on devmgmt.msc and there is no update available.

I also checked the Nvidia website and there is no studio driver available for download but there is gaming driver from 2 weeks ago, should I get that one? Or is there some way I can get a more ideal driver update

torzdf

Post by torzdf »

Ok, the MX330 isn't really a good enough GPU. It is an entry level laptop interface with only 2GBs of dedicated VRAM. Even if you do get Faceswap running on it, you probably won't be able to do much.

To give you an idea, it has performance similar to a GTX 285 which was released 14 years ago.
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/g ... x330.c3493

My word is final

Errol_Flynn

Post by Errol_Flynn »

I see, I wasn't aware of that thanks for pointing that out.

However, it hasn't been running too badly on my CPU. Extractions took 30 mins each for 1000+ pics, and I am now on 3500 iterations after 5 hours elapsed (on the default settings in the guide). The preview is still a bit blurry but its definitely getting better.

My sole purpose for this is to swap faces on images only, I will not be doing video. I was thinking of using the first order model instead but they have like 0 instructions so that is why I am using this.

I do want to do better faceswaps in the future though, I was wondering: with a good set up, how much faster would iterations be when training? Like would it be more than 1 iteration per second on default settings?

torzdf

Post by torzdf »

Just did a quick test. 3500 iterations on a GTX 1080 (so quite an old GPU now). Default settings. 12 minutes.

My word is final

Errol_Flynn

Post by Errol_Flynn »

Wow thats crazy, I'm at 14k after 22 hours.

For a price, would you consider training my model if I sent the faces to you? I noticed you have a patreon so is this something we could discuss in the discord and that you would be down for?