odd power supply noise during training

Talk about Hardware used for Deep Learning

stall.three

odd power supply noise during training

Post by stall.three »

I started training for the first time on a 3080-ti desktop. The system is about a year old. It has no mechanical drives, only WD black m.2.
When iterations start during training, the power supply makes a sound like an old mechanical hard drive. It's driving me crazy.
I've run benchmarks, stress tests, etc. The power supply is silent until I start training.
.. as iterations start, the sound starts in unison.. around the 20second mark
wt-heck. Time Rip and replace?
Have you seen such behavior?

torzdf
Answers: 159

Re: odd power supply noise during training

Post by torzdf »

That sounds like something brushing against the fan. I can't recommend taking a power supply apart to check though.

The GPU will be drawing a lot of power during, hence the PSU ramping up more. You may want to check in the case to make sure the sound is actually coming from the PSU and not from further back in the PC (hard to tell from the video)

My word is final

stall.three

Post by stall.three »

Thank you. I replaced the noisy 750W power supply with a new 1000W . The odd noise is gone :)
Now I can only hear the same very faint noise from the 3080-ti founders edition gpu. It's not the fan, it's definately circuitry surging as iterations pump through. Very interesting.
Youtube seems to suggest it's fine and maybe undervolting the gpu will alleviate the sound without impacting performance, saving some Watts and heat.
Not a bad trade off.
Thanks again.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... +undervolt

bryanlyon
Site Admin
Answers: 44

Post by bryanlyon »

The noise of your GPU is called "Coil whine" and as you said, it's the circuitry. It's just the sound of the board vibrating due to voltage moving through it and is nothing to worry about. It's one of those "good problems" to have, since it means the rest of your system is so quiet you can hear the coil whine.