Hardware Setup

Talk about Hardware used for Deep Learning

power_muffin

Hardware Setup

Post by power_muffin »

Hello all! Been playing around with deepfakes for a while now and it’s time to upgrade my 8 year old hardware and was wondering about how I should proceed and was hoping I could get some input on a board/processor.

I current have 3 GPUs:
2x 3090 GeForce RTX card (24gb x2)
> 2x G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB; total 64gb
1x 2080 GeForce TI XC (11gb)

The 2080 I bought a couple of years ago. Pretty nice card. Sturdy workhouse. I was “lucky” enough to win neweggs raffle for a 3090 last year and had to buy the memory as part of the raffle. It was during the pandemic/chip shortage; I decided to get it anyway despite being robbed lol. I joke, but I was looking to upgrade anyway. After purchasing it, one of my friends had acquired one elsewhere, but quickly had buyers remorse and felt he paid too much, so I offered to buy it off him. All of the above scenarios took place over a span of 1-2 years I think… Right when the pandemic started…

Anyway, figured its time to move forward with my upgrade….I’m at a loss as to what type of board/processor I should get that would support the setup above. Ideally, I would like a modern board that could support at least 3GPUs. I’m ultimately looking to reduce training time, or move forward with higher specs for my models. Currently, cant really train anything more than 512 as computer starts to chug/crash at times. (It’s an old machine). I have a 1200 watt power supply, which currently runs two GPUs, I think it can handle a third. Anyway, was wondering if anyone could provide input/point me in the right direction for a good board/processor. My budget is about $2k. Once I nail down those two components, I believe I have mostly everything I need. Thank you in advanced!

torzdf
Answers: 159

Re: Hardware Setup

Post by torzdf »

I'm not a hardware expert by any means, but the GPU is by far and away the most important thing, and you seem well served in that area.

The most important thing (assuming you are intending to use all your GPUs) is to ensure that you have enough high speed pcie slots for your GPUs. You will be bottlenecked by the slowest PCIe lane otherwise.

My word is final