R3080 vs. Tesla K80

Talk about Hardware used for Deep Learning

MattB

R3080 vs. Tesla K80

Post by MattB »

So while commiserating with my IT guys that I'll probably die of old age before the results of my Villain training are ready I was unexpectedly offered an alternative to my GPU. I'm currently using an RTX 3080 with 12G. Our IT guy says he can send me a lightly used "Tesla K80 2 x Kepler" card they apparently used for some blockchain test or another. It's now gathering dust alongside all those espresso machines that sales bought for conferences. Anyway, I have zero experience with these cards. Apparently they aren't actual GPU's but only used for number crunching?

Will this card make my Villain training finish faster than my RTX 3080? Perhaps even in my lifetime?
Will it even work with Faceswap? A search seems to indicate others are using tesla cards.
How are these things cooled? I bonfire is fun, but not inside my house.

Sorry, this is the only way to alleviate my ignorance without spending endless hours shipping, installing, etc. Better for one of you fine folks to crush my unfounded optimism now...

torzdf
Answers: 159

Re: R3080 vs. Tesla K80

Post by torzdf »

I do not have experience of the K80.

However the RTX3080 is a powerful GPU, so not sure what kind of upgrade you are looking for.

My word is final

MattB

Re: R3080 vs. Tesla K80

Post by MattB »

Truth is I'm a bit of a hardware junky. And since I own a couple of IT shops and have access to toys... well, you get it. Anything to speed the process so I can "learn the trade" faster is attractive. I think I may have IT in Irvine ship me a used workstation (intel 11th gen or some such) if we have a full tower. Then just drop a massive GPU in it and dedicate it to running models. If I could just stop obsessively checking on the darned things...