Will installing a dedicate GPU in Windows 10 for my display only free up VRAM from a second GPU?

Talk about Hardware used for Deep Learning

martinf

Will installing a dedicate GPU in Windows 10 for my display only free up VRAM from a second GPU?

Post by martinf »

Running the SYM384 model and I am running out of VRAM at batch size of 4 with a 3080Ti.

I am wondering if adding a second GPU only to be used to drive my display might free up some VRAM on the 3080Ti?

Anyone know if this is worth exploring?

torzdf
Answers: 159

Re: Will installing a dedicate GPU in Windows 10 for my display only free up VRAM from a second GPU?

Post by torzdf »

Possibly, but Windows always seems to reserve some VRAM regardless. You shouldn't be running out of RAM though as that model was developed on a 2080Ti (under Linux) with 11GB of VRAM,

My word is final

martinf

Re: Will installing a dedicate GPU in Windows 10 for my display only free up VRAM from a second GPU?

Post by martinf »

I can run that model with batch size of 3 without issue. If I go to 4 it will run for a while then any stress at all on VRAM creates an OOM. This is on a Win 10 Pro box with 3080Ti and 80 gigs RAM and very little else running. Again... SYM384 Phaze_A with what I believe are default model settings but a few tweaks in the global loss settings, including training with a mask and penalized mask loss. Not using mixed precision. Maybe I will turn that back on and reduce my snapshot interval...