Freezing B Weights

Want to understand the training process better? Got tips for which model to use and when? This is the place for you

Forum rules

Read the FAQs and search the forum before posting a new topic.

This forum is for discussing tips and understanding the process involved with Training a Faceswap model.

If you have found a bug are having issues with the Training process not working, then you should post in the Training Support forum.

Please mark any answers that fixed your problems so others can find the solutions.

MaxHunter

Freezing B Weights

Post by MaxHunter »

So, I've read the few posts about reusing B side weights. I reuse B side all the time and have never tried to load and freeze the b-side, I've only used the generalized freeze weight option box.

Would it be worth placing a "B-side only" box in the training side of Faceswap for these cases? It seems to me it comes up a lot.

My other question is for clarification:

To reuse my B side weights and continue it's training in Phase A, if I have No Shared FC, Enable G-Block, Split FC, and Split decoders, I would :

Under weights-Load Layers, tick off, FC B, G-Block B, and Decoder B.

Right?

Question 3:

Since I'm reusing B Weights, once my B Weights are at the perfect level (because I've would have been reusing and training b-side over multiple models and instances) I then freeze the b-side while training new A-side models. Correct?

For instance:
Using Steve Buscemi as a B side for three different instances, I finally have him down to an expectable level (we'll say a loss of .01) but now I want to use my .01-Steve Buscemi on a new model of Princess Leia. This is where I would freeze everything pertaining to B-side for the entire training process. Correct?

Last edited by MaxHunter on Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
torzdf
Answers: 159

Re: Freezing B Weights

Post by torzdf »

MaxHunter wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:11 pm

Would it be worth placing a "B-side only" box in the training side of Faceswap for these cases? It seems to me it comes up a lot.

There is a "B" side only option. Or do you mean an option to auto select layers that only exist for the B side, so you don't have to select individual layers? If so, sure, it's possible, but I'm unlikely to implement, as it's a fair amount of code just to save the end user from having to potentially save themselves from clicking 2 extra checkboxes.

Under weights-Load Layers, tick off, FC B, G-Block B, and Decoder B.

Right?

I assume you mean "check the boxes", if so. Yes.

Since I'm reusing B Weights, once my B Weights are at the perfect level (because I've would have been reusing and training b-side over multiple models and instances) I then freeze the b-side while training new A-side models. Correct?

For instance:
Using Steve Buscemi as a B side for three different instances, I finally have him down to an expectable level (we'll say a loss of .01) but now I want to use my .01-Steve Buscemi on a new model of Princess Leia. This is where I would freeze everything pertaining to B-side for the entire training process. Correct?

Yes, sounds fine.

Last edited by torzdf on Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My word is final