use CPU only (Disable GPU)

The Extraction process failing on you, and you aren't getting an error back with clear instructions? Tell us about it here

Forum rules

Read the FAQs and search the forum before posting a new topic.

This forum is for reporting errors with the Extraction process. If you want to get tips, or better understand the Extract process, then you should look in the Extract Discussion forum.

Please mark any answers that fixed your problems so others can find the solutions.

macktmo

use CPU only (Disable GPU)

Post by macktmo »

Hi everyone,

I'm just wondering. When extracting or even training and converting, is there a way to disable GPU usage or even limit the GPU usage? There are times that I want to just use CPU only just because the temp rises to 100deg when using GPU. No problem if the process takes too long, I just want to learn if I have options to do so.

I'm using Macbook Air M1 and followed the macOS (Apple Silicon) Install Guide.

by bryanlyon » Mon May 08, 2023 9:41 pm

Apple sets the thermal settings for the M1. Unfortunately there is no way that I know of to change those yourself. Also, M1 isn't really a "GPU" but actually part of the M1 chip itself is accelerating any processes that can be. This is again mostly outside our control. About the best suggestion I can give is to try adding additional cooling if you're worried about the temperature.

Go to full post
bryanlyon
Site Admin
Answers: 44

Re: use CPU only (Disable GPU)

Post by bryanlyon »

Apple sets the thermal settings for the M1. Unfortunately there is no way that I know of to change those yourself. Also, M1 isn't really a "GPU" but actually part of the M1 chip itself is accelerating any processes that can be. This is again mostly outside our control. About the best suggestion I can give is to try adding additional cooling if you're worried about the temperature.