Color Space Question after reading the book

Discussions about research, Faceswapping and things that don't fit in the other categories here.

Ryzen1988

Color Space Question after reading the book

Post by Ryzen1988 »

So I just read the exploring deepfake books, very cool so left a good review.

But in there ofcourse was the resolution doubling -> vram & compute x 4 rule
The color space conversion rgb -> bgr and the fact that you do the whole convolutional shabang for each of the tree colours.
It already said that the mask itselfs is a lower resolution.

Since at least for me almost all faces come from video, and go back to video why isn't YUV 4:2:0 more used?
That would only use one layer at full resolution and the chroma luma at 25% the size.
Think of all the Vram and compute saved or the possibility to increase the output resolution without the heavy penalty.
I see not really any reason why the same convolutions and dense layers would not work with that instead of BGR :ugeek:

But probably people already tried this so why isn't this a option?

From what i have read YUV is not supported as such, but it seems fairly easy to map U & V to a grayscale layer and transform it back at the end.

Last edited by Ryzen1988 on Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
torzdf
Answers: 159

Re: Color Space Question after reading the book

Post by torzdf »

The short answer is, Faceswap has always been built to work with 8-bit BGR images. Video support was added much later in the life-cycle.

I have never experimented with other colour spaces for training, but, either way, to implement into Faceswap now would be a mammoth undertaking as it would impact every part of the codebase, so this kind of thing is unlikely to ever become a priority with the limited time I have available to develop.

My word is final

Ryzen1988

Re: Color Space Question after reading the book

Post by Ryzen1988 »

Oke, thats a very good reason for not doing that.

Thanks for the response